NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. VALID IN THE 50 UNITED STATES AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ONLY. A SUBMISSION INTO THIS CHALLENGE CONSTITUTES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES.
The PILOT Innovation Challenge (the “Challenge”) hosted and administered by the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) is seeking ideas on how local broadcasters can engage their communities with next generation content on any device, whether big, small or moving.
1. AGREEMENT: In order to participate, you must agree to these Rules. Therefore, please read these Rules prior to entering. Your entering constitutes agreement to these Rules. These Rules form a binding legal agreement between you and NAB with respect to the Challenge. NAB reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
2. ELIGIBILITY: Participation is open to individuals, teams of individuals, companies, academic institutions and non-profit organizations (each a “Participant”) which are legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia who are at least the age of 18 at the time of Submission. Challenge judges and employees of NAB, and their respective subsidiaries, affiliates, agents and their immediate families and people living in their households, are not eligible to participate. NAB, at its sole discretion, shall determine eligibility of any individual or entity, and may disqualify any Participant at any time for any reason. In the event of a conflict or potential conflict between Submissions, NAB, in its sole discretion, may choose to reject or disqualify one or more Submissions.
If an idea Submission is made on behalf of a group of individuals, a company, or any other type of organization (a “Team”), the person making the Submission on behalf of the Team (the “Captain”) must: (a) disclose as part of the initial Submission the name of the company or organization, if any, and the names of all individuals participating in the Submission (“Team Members”); (b) certify that the Captain has the right to act on behalf of the Team (be it an entity or a group of individuals) and all Team Members; (c) agree to these Rules on behalf of the Team and all Team Members, and (d) be a legal resident or citizen of the United States or hold a lawfully issued student visa, work permit, or other documentation entitling the Captain to work or receive compensation for work in the United States. In addition, each Team Member must individually register on the Challenge Website and accept these Rules during the Challenge Term. Failure to do so may result in disqualification of the submitted idea from further consideration in this Challenge.
3. SUBMISSIONS/REGISTRATION: Between June 21 and 5 PM Eastern Time September 23, 2016 (the Challenge Term), you must register and submit your idea(s) online at www.nabpilot.org/challenge (the “Challenge Website”). Registration and Submissions will be accepted only via the Challenge Website. All registrations and Submissions must be in English. You must provide a valid email address, which will be the means to communicate with you. All sections of the registration and/or Submission forms must be completed to create a valid submission into the Challenge (“Submission”). Submissions may be made in draft or final mode. If you make a Submission in draft mode, you can make changes to it until the end of the Challenge Term. Submissions will be deemed to be in final mode at the end of the Challenge Term.
LIMIT: ONE (1) SUBMISSION PER PARTICIPANT. Subsequent Submissions from the same Participant or email address will be disqualified. In the event of a dispute over identity, the Submission will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail account associated with the Submission. “Authorized account holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned to an e-mail address by an Internet access provider, on-line service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational institution, etc.) that is responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address. In the event two or more Submissions/ideas are substantially similar, only the first one entered will be considered.
Submission Form Requirements:
All Challenge Participants must clearly and concisely complete all eight (8) sections of the Idea-Submission form:
- Name: What is your idea called?
- Your idea in a tweet: Write a single tweet that conveys your idea. (140 characters or less)
- Your Idea: Describe your idea and how it addresses the challenge (500 words or less)
- Who wants it? How does your idea meet or exceed the audience and the broadcasters’ needs or expectations? (200 words or less)
- What makes your idea unique? How does your idea capture the concept of next-generation content and offer a novel experience or approach? (200 words or less)
- How will your idea be sustainable? At a high level, how will you generate revenue? What are the biggest costs? (200 words or less)
- What is needed to make the idea work? What technologies or other resources are required? What are the biggest risks and challenges? (200 words or less)Make your idea come to life. Help us see or visualize your idea. Feel free to include links to visual assets, napkin sketches, video, voiceovers, diagrams, examples or anything else that might help illustrate your idea.
Submissions may not contain advertisements, commercial endorsements, or any material that is indecent, obscene, hateful, discriminatory, defamatory, slanderous, libelous, unlawful or otherwise inappropriate as determined by NAB in its absolute discretion. Any inappropriate Submissions or material may be disqualified by NAB in its sole discretion.
4. CHALLENGE PERIOD/JUDGING:
The dates are subject to change.
Evaluation of Submissions will occur in three (3) rounds. The decisions of the judges will be final in all instances.
On or about Saturday, September 24, 2016, judging will begin, and will continue until approximately Monday, October 3, 2016, after which time the top 10 Submissions will move on to a final panel of judges.
On or about Tuesday, October 4, 2016, judging of the top 10 Submissions will begin, and will continue until approximately, Friday, October 14, 2016, after which time, the top 3 Submissions will be contacted and shall present at NAB Futures and NAB Show New York.
On or about Monday, October 31, 2016, the top 3 Submissions will present to the attendees of NAB Futures, and those attendees will determine first, second and third place for the submissions.
On or about Wednesday, November 9, 2016, the top 3 Submissions will be announced publicly and the top 3 Submissions will present at NAB Show New York.
Judging will be based on the following criteria:
- Value to Audience: How valuable is the concept to the audience? (25%)
- Value to Broadcasters: How valuable is the concept to Broadcasters? (15%)
- Viability: How likely is it that this concept could support itself and turn a profit? (10%)
- Feasibility: How well thought out is the concept implementation? (20%)
- Originality and Creativity: How unique, original and creative is this concept? (30%)
NAB accepts no responsibility for Submissions lost, delayed, damaged, defaced, or mislaid, howsoever caused.
5. PRIZES The following monetary awards are available:
- First Place (1): US $20,000
- Second Place (1): US $15,000
- Third Place (1): US $10,000
Fewer Submissions may receive awards or be recognized at any designated level if an insufficient number of qualified Submissions are received, as determined by the judges in their discretion. Each of the Top 3 Submissions is solely responsible for the payment of any taxes that may arise as a result of acceptance of a recognition award. Each award will be in the form of a single payment to the Participant (person or company/organization), regardless whether the Participant is an individual, group of individuals, company or other form of organization. All other Team awards will be made in the name of the Captain. Awards cannot be transferred or substituted. Limit one award per Participant regardless of the number or quality of Submissions from that Participant. NAB reserves the right to alter/increase/decrease award amounts and the number of rewards.
6. LEGAL RIGHTS IN YOUR SUBMISSION:
Participant Certification of Rights in Submission:
By entering a Submission, you represent and warrant that: (i) you are able to comply with these terms and conditions and your Submission is not subject to any conflicting obligations that would prevent or interfere with your compliance with these terms and conditions; (ii) your Submission does not make unauthorized use of or violate in any way any rights of any 3rd party, including but not limited to copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or rights of publicity; and (iii) no one else’s permission is required for you to make your Submission in this Challenge or to use your idea as contemplated under these terms and conditions. Without limiting the foregoing, you represent and warrant that you have complied with any requirements of your employer, if any, to allow your participation in the Challenge, including but not limited to making your Submission and accepting any recognition award you may receive.
Grant of Usage Rights in Submissions:
You retain all ownership rights in your Submission. However, by participating you acknowledge that your Submission may become published on the Challenge Website, and you further agree that NAB and anyone it designates shall have the unrestricted and non-exclusive right to edit, adapt, publish, copy, display, perform, broadcast, modify, and otherwise use any or all of your Submission, alone or in combination with other material, in any and all media, whether now known or later discovered, in perpetuity, without restriction of any kind whatsoever, without further compensation to you or anyone else.
7. TAXES: TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, ALL TAXES IMPOSED ON PRIZES ARE THE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNERS. Winners are responsible for ensuring that they comply with all the applicable tax laws and filing requirements.
8. GENERAL CONDITIONS: Except as otherwise required by law, the Participant agrees that Challenge and its operation is to be construed under the laws of the District of Columbia. Notwithstanding the jurisdiction of any other court, the Participant expressly submits and consents in advance to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia and the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia for all claims or disputes pertaining directly or indirectly to the Challenge.
9. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS: As a condition of entering into the Challenge, Participant grants NAB a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, transferable, royalty-free, and nonexclusive license to use, reuse, publish, republish, modify, edit, repurpose, reproduce, distribute, sell, disclose, publicly perform, create a derivative work from and publicly display Participant’s opinions, name, photograph, likeness, Submissions, ideas, or other materials provided by Participant or Participant’s Team.
10. PRIVACY: Participants agree that personal data submitted with the Submission, including name, mailing address, phone number, and email address may be collected, processed, stored and otherwise used by NAB and its affiliates for the purposes of conducting and administering the Challenge. By entering the Challenge, Participants agree to the transmission, processing, disclosing and storage of this personal data by NAB and its affiliates.
11. PUBLICITY: By entering the Challenge, Participants agree to participate in any media or promotional activity resulting from the Challenge as reasonably requested by NAB at NAB’s expense and agree and consent to use of their name and/or likeness by NAB. NAB shall contact Participants in advance of any NAB request for interviews.
The Submission may also be used for press and media purposes (including events and activities related to this Challenge) and Participant agrees to waive any rights and not assert any intellectual property rights that Participant has or may have in the Submission. NAB reserve the right to publish the name and likeness of the Participants on the Challenge Website or through other media for publicity purposes.
12. WARRANTY AND INDEMNITY: Participant warrants that their Submissions are their own original work and, as such, they are the sole and exclusive owner and rights holder of the submitted Submission and that they have the right to submit the Submission in the Challenge and grant all required licenses. Participant agrees not to submit any Submission that: (a) infringes any third party proprietary rights, intellectual property rights, industrial property rights, personal or moral rights or any other rights, including without limitation, copyright, trademark, trade names, industrial designs, patent, trade secret, privacy, publicity or confidentiality obligations; or (b) otherwise violates applicable state, federal, or local law.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, Participant agrees to defend, indemnify and hold harmless NAB from and against any and all claims, actions, suits or proceedings, as well as any and all losses, liabilities, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or accruing from; (i) any Submission or other material uploaded or otherwise provided by Participant that infringes any copyright, trademark, trade secret, trade dress, patent or other intellectual property right of any person or defames any person or violates their rights of publicity or privacy; (ii) breach of any warranty set forth herein; (iii) any misrepresentation made by Participant in connection with the Challenge; (iv) any non-compliance by Participant with these Rules; (v) claims brought by persons or entities other than the parties to these Rules arising from or related to Participant’s involvement with the Challenge; (vi) acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Challenge-related activity or participation in the Challenge; (vii) any malfunction or other problem with the Challenge Website in relation to the Submission and participation in the Challenge by Participant; (ix) any error in the collection, processing, or retention of Submission or voting information in relation to the Submission and participation in the Challenge by Participant and in the voting process; or (x) and, any typographical or other error in the printing, offering or announcement of any prize or winners in relation to the Submission and participation in the Challenge.
13. INTERNET AND DISCLAIMER: NAB is not responsible for any malfunction of the entire Challenge Website or any late, lost, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, illegible, undeliverable, or destroyed Submission or votes due to system errors, failed, incomplete or garbled computer or other telecommunication transmission malfunctions, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, typographical or system/human errors and failures, technical malfunction(s) of any telephone network or lines, cable connections, satellite transmissions, servers or providers, or computer equipment, traffic congestion on the Internet or at the Challenge Website, or any combination thereof, including other telecommunication, cable, digital or satellite malfunctions which may limit the ability to participate. NAB is not responsible for the policies, actions, or inactions of others, which might prevent anyone from entering, participating, and/or claiming a prize in this Challenge. NAB’s failure to enforce any term of these Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that or any other provision. NAB reserves the right to disqualify those who violate the rules or interfere with this Challenge in any manner.
14. RIGHT TO CANCEL OR MODIFY: If for any reason the Challenge is not capable of running as planned, including but not limited to, infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Challenge, NAB reserves the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Challenge.